Monday, December 21, 2009

The New Barbershop

I remember watching old movies, where the barbershop was the center of the community. Where you could go, get a cut and shave, and shoot the shit with everyone. That's the feeling I get at the local shop in Skokie. My routine usually consists of walking into Cigar King and picking out my smoke for my stay, cutting it and lighting it up. Then for the next two hours or so, chat it up with whoever walks in or the guys behind the counter.

Anything is up for discussion; politics, current events, the economy, movies...This particular Friday was an interesting one. Ladies handbags was the topic, and how in this economy how small boutiques cannot charge $400 for a purse when no one knows the designer.

My buddies and I walked into a cigar shop in Vegas off the strip. The owner gave us a room in the back to watch the Sweet 16 games, pizza recommendations (as we were from Chicago and good pizza in Vegas is like trying to find an authentic Gucci purse in Chinatown) and just chilled with us for a bit to fill us in the new cigar tax and how it affects small businesses like his. He gave us 15% off boxes and gave me some great cigar recommendations. Among them were the Siglo No. X Belicosos and La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero 700s.

That is where I'm the most comfortable and would likely spend my money. At a place that no matter where you're from, they treat you like one of the guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment